Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Making Laundry Soap

Last week we started a new project. Making laundry soap! I have been seeing others make their own soap at home and thought I would try it. This is the post I found -at Cutting Coupons in KC. Anything to save a buck I say! This is what we bought at the store.

I got most of it at Wal-Mart - except for the Washing Soda. I had to get that at Hyvee. For everything below I spent $8.94. To make my first batch I used 1 bar of Ivory soap, 2 cups of Borax, 2 cups of Washing soda. Barely even a fraction of the boxes. This mixed with water in a 4 gallon bucket(which I just swiped from hubby's stash). Estimating this will yield me 6 regular size laundry detergent bottles, and using the rest of my ingredients will yield at least another 3 or 4 buckets (if I get more Ivory bars at $1 for 3) We are looking at 24 regular bottles for less than $10!! If I was buying 24 bottles of detergent it would cost me between $60 and $100 depending on if they are on sale or any coupons available! What a bargain!! Also next time I won't have to buy another grater, making the overall price even cheaper!! YEAH for me!! Little honey helping me grate the soap. Of course he has to smell it! I tried to catch him with the soap at his nose but missed it and caught a little corner of his smile! I noticed the larger opening on the grater was easier than the little holes. And man is this grater sharp! I grated off part of two finger nails along with the soap! I had to be very careful as I didn't want to lose another part of my finger like I did at Thanksgiving! After grating the soap we simmered it on the stove until it melted... Poured it into the bucket and then filled it up with warm water. Little honey really enjoyed using the sprayer!!

Bucket shot by little honey!! He wanted to take a picture, what's a momma to do? Little honey stirring it up after adding the Borax and Soda. Then added more hot water to the top. We let it sit over night to thicken and we used it the next day.

At first I didn't like the new detergent, but it is growing on me - especially the price!!! I have been using it for a week and it is not so bad. I did end up adding more of the soda and borax. It seems to make it thicker and look like regular detergent you would buy. I guess I am still hung up on the look of it!! To get the full recipe and tutorial go here. She has other ideas of homemade cleaning supplies that I am gonna have to give a try. Anything to save more money!!! Just a quick pic of upcoming tux! He did NOT want his picture taken!! So this is the best I could get...
Notice one dress shoe and one tennis shoe!! And still in his shorts!! I'm hoping the wedding day will be better than the fitting!! Only4 more days!!! I am starting to get nervous! Luckily as we were flipping channels yesterday I saw Little Bill - and he was a ring bearer in a wedding! So Little honey at least got to see a glimpse of what it might be like. Send your prayers that there won't be too big of a scene in the middle of the church!!!
Will you try to make any homemade cleaners? I think it is fun and now I know what is actually in the cleaners I am using - especially my homemade window cleaner. I will post about it later. Tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Lisa B. said...

I love making my own cleaners also. I just put a link to mine on my sidebar of my blog.

Just Jenny said...

I will go and check it out ~ Thanks!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...