Monday, January 25, 2010

Another Recipe

~GASP~  Can you believe it? I am actually putting another recipe on here.  I know, I know.
I said I wouldn't do it again...but here it is.

I actually made this food item for some of my Christmas gifts! I stumbled across this recipe some time ago in an issue of Woman's Day and I tore it out. I thought hmmm, this might make a good gift for some of my male relatives.


And guess what? They loved it! It's great with pretzels! Hubby LOVES it! So I have made a few batches already. I am not too fond of it. A little on the warm side and I'm not a real fan of mustard. But more to you if you like this sort of thing. Also it was a little weird buying one of the ingredients at the store. We don't drink at our house so we don't buy alcohol. I know it mainly cooks out when you make things so I wasn't worried about using it - just worried about buying it!! I know it sounds weird - but I am just that way. I don't want people thinking that I bought it to drink it! Sorry just not me. But if you enjoy that sort of thing then you should have all the ingredients on hand!

So here it is »


Tangy Beer Mustard
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup dry mustard
  • 1/4 cup whole mustard seeds
  • 2 Tbsp flour
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 12 oz beer
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 3 large eggs
Whisk sugar, mustard, mustard seeds, flour and salt in a medium saucepan to combine. Whisk in beer and vinegar just until blended.
Let stand about 15 minutes until foam subsides, then whisk in eggs until blended.
Cook over medium-low heat. Whisking often - 10-12 minutes or until boiling. 
Reduce heat to low and, whisking constantly, simmer 1 to 2 minutes until mixture has thickened.
Pour into jars. Let stand until cool, then cover and refrigerate.


A few tricks I found out -
  • Dry mustard and Ground mustard are the SAME thing! Different manufacturers call it different things! What a way to confuse us noncooks out here!
  • I used a funnel to pour the mix into the jars - it looks nicer without messes on the sides but make sure you do the next step►
  • If you immediately pour the mustard mix into the jars after cooking it is easier then waiting for it to cool and thicken and then put it in the jars. Found this out the HARD way!!!
  • You can use nonalcoholic beer instead of regular beer - but it COST more! Sorry - I went the cheap way!!!
  • If you use the small canning jelly jars that are 8 oz. you can fill three of these with one recipe.
  • Researching mustard making I found out you can make it less tangy/not as tart/or as strong the longer you leave it out to cool. By sitting at room temperature it will weaken down some of the strength that occurred while cooking. But don't leave it out too long because it has eggs in it!!! If you want it HOT and SPICY then put it in the fridge as soon as you put it in the jars. The coolness of the fridge is what sets it up.
Hope you enjoy this EASY recipe from someone who doesn't cook very often.
If you try it out tell me what you think ♥

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this at your house on New Year's. Thanks for posting the recipe!

Just Jenny said...

Thanks T!
Glad you liked it!!
♥♥♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...