Thursday, December 9, 2010

I tried something new ♥

So the other day I tried something new. Not new in general - just new to me! A new food - A Pomegranate! Now some of you may be laughing - but this is a big deal. I don't usually veer out of my comfort zone when it comes to food. For fruit - I grew up on bananas, oranges, apples, grapes, watermelon, cantaloupe, honeydew and occasional grapefruit, pineapple or strawberries. That is pretty much it to my fruit experience as a child. Nothing out of the ordinary.

When we had little honey, hubby and I decided we would expand his food repertoire and try new fruits. To most they aren't that exciting - but a new flavor in the mouth is weird

I tried pears (all different colors - red, brown, green and yellow), peaches and apricots (hubby and little honey really like - me not so much), eggplant, kiwi, mango, star fruit (weird but pretty), plums, cherries (again not my favorite - but the boys LOVE them), plus many more I can't remember. But lastly we tried the
Pomegranate.
I had been wanting to try it for a while - but was afraid of the little pieces and not knowing how to eat it or cut it. I know I am a little OCD about somethings But I don't like to try something new and do it WRONG - call me weird if you may...

Well last Sunday at church I noticed on the snack menu that the kids were going to eat pomegranate! What trying something new at church! Again a little weirded out. I couldn't wait until after service to ask little honey what he thought of the new fruit.

When I finally got the chance to ask him what he thought - he liked it! WOW! I was shocked since the past few months have been a little iffy on the food front as to what he will eat. So at my next grocery trip I noticed the pomegranates were on sale and thought I would try. Lucky me the pomegranate growers had made a cute little pamphlet to show you how to cut and wash and eat them! Yeah- nothing could go wrong now!

I was so thankful for the pictures in the pamphlet as I would have totally cut it all wrong. I noticed that as I was slicing there was a slight smell similar to cauliflower - just not as strong! The meaty portion(like the pulpy stuff in oranges) is what smelled. VERY INTERESTING. Wonder if anyone else noticed that? The little fruit pieces were so cute. They look like corn kernels! Just smooshed all together in one round container! My hands got a little red breaking the little pieces out - but luckily they just washed off no stains

They aren't my favorite. A little hard - maybe mine wasn't very ripe? But I did like the juice that squirted when you bite into them! Very Fun! I cheated and just bit them and then spit them out! (I felt a little like Madagascar when they drank the salt water and then spit it out!) But fun none the less!

Am I weird? Do you try new things or is this all old news to you?

Please let me know I'm normal today

2 comments:

Regina said...

Just cruising through and stopped to read this post! Very interesting since I love pomegranates! Well not really LOVE them but they were part of my childhood so I love the history of them for me! The juice is good though! I am not too big on trying new things, my daughter is a chef and complains that we (me) don't try new things. Well, I like what I like!
Great post!

Just Jenny said...

Thanks for stopping by! I know trying new foods is very hard ♥

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...