Thursday, May 17, 2012

My Chevron Rug Tutorial

So I finally did it! I made a chevron rug!

I have been drooling over these on pinterest for a while and was trying to figure out how to incorporate it into my home and how to do it with out spending much $$.

This is what I came up with ~

I even put a little tutorial together to show you how I did it! My first tutorial!
*Next project - paint the edge of my front door! I didn't realize how bad it looks until seeing the pic!

This is what you will need -

  • A Rug - preferably one you already own or buy a cheap one.
  • Ruler/tape measure
  • Construction paper for pattern
  • Green frog tape or Blue painters tape - or both if you are like me!
  • Paint - regular old indoor house paint is what I used.
  • Foam paint brush - the cheap kind.
  • Calculator - unless you can figure out the divisions - I can't!

I already had the rug in my entry way and it even had a few spots on it that could be covered up. Perfect! Did I mention also FREE! It's a berber style rug with very small loops. I just realized I didn't take a before picture. This is all I have.
Yes that is my Easter garden in the background...no it hardly has any grass growing. That is all I have to show since Easter!

1.  Measure your rug. Length and width. Your rug will be different than mine so use your measurements here. Mine measures 38.5 wide and 22.5 high. I divided 38.5 in half to get 19.25 (all the while drawing this on scrap paper to plan my design out). Again divide the half measurement in half again which got me 9.625 or 9 5/8. This is the width of my chevron.

2.  Take the height of rug 22.5 and divide by 8. I picked 8 because it is even number and because if I have 4 sections of chevron I wanted to double that and have four rows painted and four rows not painted. I got 2.8125. Fold your paper pattern in half sideways and measure down 2.8125 or the height of your chevron. Mark this measurement on the fold.

3. Use ruler and make line from top right corner to center fold line measurement. Do the same from top left corner to center fold measurement. This is the top of your chevron or "V". Cut along this line.

4.  Take the triangle that you just cut out and move it down your paper so the straight line meets the indent of your chevron. Mark along the bottom edge. This is now the complete shape of your chevron! Cut it out and cut out three more. This is when hubby walks in and says "Oh is that why they call the gas station chevron because it looks like that" HA!
5.  Tape four chevron pieces together in straight line. This is your pattern. You can lay it out and see what it looks like.
This is when you realize that I didn't do my measurements correctly I measured out 2.1825 instead of 2.8125. It makes a big difference! So you start over and remeasure and cut out your chevron pieces all over again. Remember the important saying "Measure twice cut once" wish I had!!

6.  Now that you have the correct measured chevron pattern pin it down to your rug and start taping off the sections you don't want painted.
Notice the wonderful graphic I have laid out for you. HA!
7.  Pinning the pattern worked out great. Easy to position reposition if needed. Now time to tape away. Start with the good green frog tape and move onto blue in case you run out! Make sure you keep the center point lined up with the center of the rug. I did use my invisible pen from my sewing stash which helped me keep it all centered.
Can you see the stain I need to cover up on the bottom stripe? Finally no more spots!

8.  Paint away. I let the foam brush get good and wet with paint and then just dabbed and dabbed away. Can't really mess up here.


This is after the first coat of paint. You can still see the tan berber underneath. I ended up doing three coats of paint.

9. After it dries remove tape carefully and put in place. Done!



I think it turned out pretty good.



What do you think?? Go and try it! And tell me about it!

Photobucket

5 comments:

Stacey said...

This is a great little rug and I adore the chevron! Thanks for the tute and be sure to hop over today as I am featuring your creation!'
Stacey of Embracing Change

Shannon said...

This is GREAT!! Just pinned it, and I am a new follower!! I'd love for you to stop by my blog sometime:)

Shannon@SewSweetCottage

Just Jenny said...

Thanks Stacey for the feature ♥

I love finding neat ideas on your blog ♥

Just Jenny said...

Thanks Shannon! I just love new followers!

Shannon said...

I just nominated you for the Sunshine Award--check here for the details...http://sewsweetcottage.blogspot.com/2012/06/sunshine-blog-award.html

:)Shannon@SewSweetCottage

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...